I have a plan. I know that sounds weird after yesterday’s post where I said I don’t make new year resolutions, but I think I need to approach this year quite deliberately; hence The Plan.
Now don’t get scared or put off; I actually have a plan. A fairly decent one. And, I think this plan dovetails quite nicely with my word for 2014 – Release.
A plan to change how I view things. A plan to change what I read (to a degree). A plan that includes my family; though I’m not sure if they will play along. The idea is that this will aid me in walking out Release in my life.
First, the plan to change how I view things.
To the point, a plan to start seeing things in a more thankful and positive way. I am going to endeavour to follow the 1000 gifts challenge that can be found at Ann Voskamp’s web site. It’s called the Joy Dare, and in it she outlines 3 gifts everyday to look for. Kind of like a treasure hunt that changes every day.
I have decided that as a family we should do this together, so to that end I texted them all and outlined what I wanted them to do. I’m not sure if they’ll play with me on this but thought it would be a fun exercise for each of us. Who knows where it’ll lead. I’ve also asked them to come up with a hashtag so that if they post their ‘gifts’ on social media we can all find them. I’ll keep you posted on what they come up with.
To that end, here are my gifts for January 1 and 2 of 2014.
Jan 1: 3 Gifts Heard:
1. Daily Audio Bible: I know I’ve mentioned it a few times, but it really is a great tool for me to be able to get through the bible in one year and it makes commuting easier to bear. There’s scripture reading: OT, NT, Psalms & Proverbs, each day along with prayer, and most times a small devotional type talk.
2. I was resting up after a long night and through my bedroom door I hear,”Shhhh! Mom’s trying to sleep!” It kinda made me giggle as the shushing wasn’t done too quietly, but I appreciated the sentiment.
3. I got to hear, “I love You”. A lot. My hubs was in fine form and each time he said it I got a kiss, a hug, a snuggle, or all three. Can’t argue with that.
Jan 2: A gift outside, A gift inside, A gift on a plate:
1. A gift outside – the rain. Am happy that it’s wet outside rather than snowing. I know some will find that a heresy but there it is.
2. A gift inside – the steaming cup of tea that is currently sitting on my desk. It’ll probably be cold by the time I get to it but that’s what microwaves are for.
3. A gift on a plate – the blueberry muffin I picked up from Starbuck’s this morning. It’s been a while since I had one and I’d forgotten just how good they are. Yum! Now to clean up the crumbs so they don’t fall into my keyboard. *wink*
Going forward I will be posting these gifts on my new page called 1000 Gifts. I hope you will join me there every now and again as I journey through this.
Now, about my other plan regarding what I read.
I tend to read what I call “brain candy”. Nothing heavy or deep, just fluff. These fluffy novels have taken on a life of their own in my life and I am on a mission to pare them back so that they don’t continue to take over the majority of my spare time at home.
So, I have decided that I will try to read at least one, possibly two, books that will cause me to grow. I got this idea from Sarah Bessey. I’m going to try and get a friend on board with me as we are both somewhat delinquent in reading books that will strengthen and encourage. The plan also includes, possibly writing about what I (we) have read, and how it impacted me (us). Not sure how this one is going to pan out either, but the intent is there.
So there you have it; the plan to enable Release to begin to operate in my life in 2014. I believe these are God ideas and so am going to try to be extra vigilant about them. I’m sure that there will be other things that will be added, but this is a good, albeit big, start. Don’t you think?
Looking forward to experiencing 2014 with you.
Hugs & Smooches,